BALAAM'S DONKEY QUICKLY BECAME TEACHER'S PET
View fullsize in your browser
Here you will find information concerning our church and its ministries. We hope you find your time spent here a blessing. Our church is a warm and loving church, and we want you to feel comfortable and at liberty to call on us for anything you need. Feel free to browse through the various areas of our website and learn about our fellowship.
If you are considering relocating to our area, we would love to have you be our guest for Life Groups and worship.
When you visit our church, you will find:
Ongoing New Member and Discipleship 101 Classes
Approximately every quarter, Pastor Jon Church begins a new session of C.L.A.S.S. (Christian Life and Service Seminar). These hourly sessions, held on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. over a ten-week period, serve to introduce persons to the fellowship and ministry opportunities through Katy Park Baptist Church. Since we have people from many different church backgrounds, this seminar is designed to clearly explain the purpose and direction of our church. The purpose of C.L.A.S.S. is to help you become all that God wants you to be, by learning to grow in Christ and serve Him gladly. If you're interested in participating in the next session, please contact Jon Church to express your interest. The sessions will be conducted in the Church Library.
Discipleship 101 is another ongoing instruction held during the Life Group Hour. This class is for anyone who wants to grow in discipleship and knowledge of the Bible. We encourage all who have completed C.L.A.S.S. to take this course. It will be offered multiple times and will be approximately 12 weeks long. If interested, see Pastor Richard. All sessions will be conducted in the church sanctuary on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Current Study Topics of Winter Life Groups
The Adult Life Groups have begun new studies on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. The Adult I Class, led by David McCandless, will begin a new study entitled "Search for Significance" on July 27. Ben & Lorna Sparks are leading the Adult II Life Group with a book study entitled "Always True" by James MacDonald. The Men's Class will soon begin a study entitled "The Gospel According to Jonah: A New Kind of Obedience" by J.D. Greear. The Women's Class will be focusing on biblical life applications in "What and Why?" The Friends Class continues to use the Access Materials designed specifically for the mentally challenged. We also have classes for all ages, from Nursery through Senior High Teens. If you haven't already plugged into a small group, these studies will be a great opportunity to connect with fellow class members.
Missions and Outreach Team Formed
Our Missions and Outreach Team, led by Richard DeFord, continues to have monthly meetings on the third Sunday of each month at 5:30 p.m. We invite all who are interested in helping plan and participate in the outreach arm of our church to attend these meetings. If you would like to be contacted when a project is planned, please let Richard DeFord know by calling (660) 287-2505. See the ministry table to sign up for all mission activities. The Missions and Outreach Team will hold its next meeting on Sunday, August 24, at 5:30 p.m. in the Church Library.
Mission & Evangelism Opportunities
1. Our annual Fish Fry has been scheduled for September 27 at 5:30 p.m. in Fellowship Hall. A popular event for our members, this event is also a wonderful opportunity to invite friends, coworkers, neighbors and family to the fellowship of our church.
2. September 30 will be our next date to serve a meal at the Community Cafe. A signup sheet will be placed on the Ministry Table for those wishing to donate items and/or serving and preparing the meal.
3. An annual Sedalia event, the "Queen of the Prairies," has been scheduled to be held October 4. A group from Katy Park will doing "Creation Cookies" again this year. If interested, please contact Richard DeFord.
4. We will be participating in the Festival of Sharing at the Mathewson Center on October 18. This is a time when churches throughout the state commit to preparing needs kits for distribution by youth to various organizations and people in need.
5. Weather permitting, our morning worship on October 19 will be moved to the Park. We will have our normal time of singing and message, followed by a barbeque lunch. People in the neighborhoods will be invited to attend when we pass out flyers in the neighborhoods surrounding the church
6. Katy Park will be participating in a number of ways at the Sedalia Christmas Parade scheduled for December 6. We will begin the mornings activities at 9:30 a.m. when we pass out popcorn packets to those in attendance. Once the parade starts, we will be carrying the cross down Ohio Street and possibly also enter a float in the parade.
7. Richard DeFord, our Missions and Outreach Director, is researching areas of interest for our 2015 Katy Park Mission Trip. As details are determined, they will be discussed in the monthly Missions & Outreach Team Meetings held the third Sundays of each month at 5:30 p.m.
S.A.G. Group Meets Monthly
The Senior Adults of Katy Park, ages 55 and older, have a great time of fellowship as they meet on the second Friday of each month. The meetings, held in the Fellowship Hall, begin at Noon with a contributory lunch, with meat and drink provided, followed by a devotional or guest speaker. The meetings are concluded by 2:00 p.m. For details or questions about the monthly meetings, please contact Joyce Lilly. The next meeting will be held on September 12. This group will presenting the sequel to the "Christmas in Cricket County" play during Morning Worship on December 14 of this year. Play practices will normally be held on Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m. in the Church Sanctuary.
Men's Ministry Begins Study of "10 Choices"
The Men's Ministry will meet on September 9 and continue their study, "10 Choices: A Proved Plan to change Your Life Forever," by James MacDonald. Ben Sparks will lead the study and Stan Jobe will prepare a light dinner. Dinner will begin in the Fellowship Hall at 6:30 p.m. with the study to follow. Check out the signup sheet in the church foyer to add your name to the dinner reservations.
Summer Small Group Studies Begin
1. Debra Church is leading a small group, studying "10 Building Blocks for a Solid Family" by Jim Burns. This 10-week study, with meetings held each Sunday evening from August 10 through October 19 (with the exception of August 31), is an honest and enlightening study from one Christian parent to another that is filled with encouragement and time-tested techniques for anyone who wants to ensure the health and happiness of their own family. Jim Burns emphasizes the heartening news that most parents do a good job of parenting but just don't know it. Here parents will hear personal stories from interviews with parents and experts on family relationships, covering almost every aspect of parenting--from helping children deal with stress to learning to play together as a family. Participants will learn the 10 essential principles for creating a strong, close-knit household and discover a family that shines with love for God and one another! Participants may register their interest in attending by adding their names to the signup sheet in the church foyer.
2. Stan Jobe will lead a study in the witinessing techniques utilized by the Way of the Master team of Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. Sessions will be held on Wednesday evenings beginning August 13 at 6:30 p.m. and concluding on October 8. The group will decide at that time whether they wish to continue the study through the remaining fourteen sessions. If interested in participating, join us at any time!
"Catch of the Day" Fish Fry
Mark your calendars today for the annual Church Fish Fry which has been scheduled for September 27. The festivities will be held in Fellowship Hall and will begin at 5:30 p.m. Since this is an outreach event, as well as a time of great fellowship for our church family, invite your friends, neighbors, and coworkers. This will be a very casual way to introduce them to your church family and to the love and saving grace of our Lord Jesus.
"Parking Lot" Campaign
Our first phase in paving our church parking lot is underway. Our goal for Phase I was set at $15,000 and Praise the Lord, we have reached that goal! Work can begin the end of August on the east side entrance. In an effort to keep our costs to a minimum, the men of our church will be doing much of the labor themselves. Please be praying about what you can give and/or how you can help.
Brian Young to Speak on Creation
During the second weekend of October, Brian Young will be our guest at Katy Park. On Saturday, October 11, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Brian will be leading a study on the "Two-Minute Bible." Besides being our guest speaker during Morning Worship, Brian will also lead the Life Group classes when he conducts a session on "Amazing Animals." You won't want to miss this time of learning and sharing.
Christian Artists Performing in Sedalia!
The Newsboys will perform at the Mathewson Exposition Center on October 12. Tickets are available through First Baptist Church, the Celebration Center and Bings West for $20 each. Tickets at the door will be $25.
KATY PARK YOUTH & KIDZ LIFE NEWS
TAG -- You're It!
One Sunday night every month, parents, youth workers and youth are welcome to meet and discuss all things concerning the Your Ministry. It is open to those desiring to seek the Lord's direction for the youth of this fellowship. The your program here doesn not exist to just give you more things to do, but to lead, train, and equip this up and coming generation in their walk with Jesus Christ. TAG meets the first Sunday evening of each month at 5:30 p.m.
CAT Meetings Planned
If you would like to be a part of this team and help plan the events and teachings of Kidz Life at Katy Park, please contact Brooke Spratley. Meetings will be held on the first Sunday evenings of each even-numbered month at 5:30 p.m. A complete list of meeting dates is posted on the bulletin board at the top of the basement stairway.
Bruce & Brooke Spratley have begun programs for Royal Ambassadors (RAs) and Girls in Action (GAs) at Katy Park. The week meetings will be held each Wednesday evening at the church from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. for children Grades 1 through 5. Both organizations are Bible-centered, church-based Southern Baptist Missions education for boys and girls. The boys' organization, commonly referred to as RAs, is based on 2 Corinthians 5:20 ("We are Ambassadors for Christ"), bringing good news of salvation to people everywhere. Girls in Action, commonly referred to as GAs, is a missions discipleship organization where the girls learn about, pray for, give to, and do missions work. We are excited about this new missions emphasis for our young people and hope that you will cover the leaders and the children in your prayers as they begin this journey into missions-led ministry. The children will soon begin earning merit badges in various areas. If you are interested to teaching a particular skill that you possess, please contact either Bruce or Brooke. They would love to have several adults involved.
Project Parachute volunteers are praying for our men and women of the Armed Forces of the USA who are now in harm's way in Afghanistan, Korea, Iraq and other parts of the world. We thank them and their families for their sacrifices. Those currently on our prayer list include Bernard Abduba, Cody Borgmeyer, Christopher Buxton, Andrew Campbell, Aaron Cassil, Kalli Fox, Falisha Herren, Daphne Hopson, Rodger Johnson, Stacey Kitsmiller, Conrad Kruse, Kenneth Lewie, Daniel Mahurin, Daniel McConnell, Jacob McMullin, Aramis Nahabedian, Dustin Patton, Alan Reed, Jeremy Rutherford, Adam Schock, and Curtis Thompson. If you have a friend or family member currently deployed overseas and would like to add them to our mailing list to receive gift boxes or personal notes, cards, homemade cookies and encouragement of various types every month and on holidays, please call 660-826-2070. Join military spouses and family members for a time of sharing, prayer and other activities to show your concern for our military personnel. This group meets monthly at the Harmony Baptist Association office (1950 Hwy TT, Sedalia). The next Project Parachute Meeting will be Thursday, August 21, at 6:00 p.m.
The roof on the Harmony Baptist Office building needs to be replaced. Help is needed to tear off the old shingles and lay a new roof. Work will be done on September 5 and 6, so if you can help, it will be much appreciated. Donated labor will keep our costs to a minimum.
Mark your calendars now so you won't miss the 133rd Annual Meeting to will be held at New Hope Baptist Church on September 14, 2014. The meeting will begin at 1:15 p.m.
Harmony Baptist Association will be hosting a three-day revival at the Association Office on September 29, 30 and October 1 from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. Guest speaker and special music will be announced at a later date. Mark your calendars so you don't miss this three-day event.
Sedalia Christian Outreach will be sponsoring the Newsboys' "We Believe" Tour at the Mathewson Expo Center at the Missouri State Fairgrounds on October 12, 2014. Special guests will include Family Force 5 and 7eventh Time Down. Tickets can be secured online at iTickets.com. Sedalia ticket outlets include the Celebration Center (660-827-2993, 1701 W. 32nd Street), First Baptist Church (660-826-2160, 200 East 6th Street) and Bings West (1700 S. Limit). Ticket prices will be $25 for floor seating and $20 for upper arena seating. Ticket prices will increase by $5 per ticket if purchased at the door. The show starts at 6:00 p.m., but doors will open at 5:00 p.m.