SOMETIMES I FORGOT TO WITNESS TO PEOPLE ... NOW I'M COVERED
View fullsize in your browser
Here you will find information concerning our church and its ministries. We hope you find your time spent here a blessing. Our church is a warm and loving church, and we want you to feel comfortable and at liberty to call on us for anything you need. Feel free to browse through the various areas of our website and learn about our fellowship.
If you are considering relocating to our area, we would love to have you be our guest for Life Groups and worship.
When you visit our church, you will find:
Ongoing New Member and Discipleship 101 Classes
Approximately every quarter, Pastor Jon Church begins a new session of C.L.A.S.S. (Christian Life and Service Seminar). These hourly sessions, held on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. over a ten-week period, serve to introduce persons to the fellowship and ministry opportunities through Katy Park Baptist Church. Since we have people from many different church backgrounds, this seminar is designed to clearly explain the purpose and direction of our church. The purpose of C.L.A.S.S. is to help you become all that God wants you to be, by learning to grow in Christ and serve Him gladly. If you're interested in participating in the next session, please contact Jon Church to express your interest. The sessions will be conducted in the Church Library.
Discipleship 101 is another ongoing instruction held during the Life Group Hour. This class is for anyone who wants to grow in discipleship and knowledge of the Bible. We encourage all who have completed C.L.A.S.S. to take this course. It will be offered multiple times and will be approximately 12 weeks long. If interested, see Pastor Richard. All sessions will be conducted in the church sanctuary on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. The next session will begin Sunday, November 2, and the topic of discussion will be Kyle Idleman's book entitled "Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus."
Current Study Topics of Winter Life Groups
The Adult Life Groups have begun new studies on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. The Adult I Class, led by David McCandless, is well into a study entitled "Search for Significance". Ben & Lorna Sparks are leading the Adult II Life Group with a book study entitled "Always True" by James MacDonald. A new Life Group for Newly Married Couples, which began on September 28, will be focusing on David Sunde's book, "Growing Together in Christ." The Women's Class will be focusing on the importance of a prayer life. The Friends Class continues to use the Access Materials designed specifically for the mentally challenged. We also have classes for all ages, from Nursery through Senior High Teens. If you haven't already plugged into a small group, these studies will be a great opportunity to connect with fellow class members.
Missions and Outreach Team Formed
Our Missions and Outreach Team, led by Richard DeFord, continues to have monthly meetings on the third Sunday of each month at 5:30 p.m. We invite all who are interested in helping plan and participate in the outreach arm of our church to attend these meetings. If you would like to be contacted when a project is planned, please let Richard DeFord know by calling (660) 287-2505. See the ministry table to sign up for all mission activities. The Missions and Outreach Team will hold its next meeting on Sunday, January 18, at 5:30 p.m. in the Church Library.
Mission & Evangelism Opportunities
1. We are in the final stages of collecting items for the Operation Christmas Child boxes. The deadline for donations will be Noon, November 21, as the Senior Adult Group will be packing the boxes at their monthly meeting.
2. Katy Park will be showing the movie, "The Star of Bethlehem," in the church sanctuary on November 30, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The public is invited.
3. Want to show love to your neighbors at Christmas time? Our church members are asked to donate dozens of homemade cookies by December 3 so we can make "goodie baskets" to be distributed to our neighbors on December 7. If you would like to participate, check out the Ministry Table around Thanksgiving time to sign up. Just indicate how many dozen you will be donating and get them to the church by the deadline of December 3. We will be making up our cookie baskets during the service that evening.
4. Katy Park will be participating in a number of ways at the Sedalia Christmas Parade scheduled for December 6. We will begin the mornings activities at 9:30 a.m. when we pass out popcorn packets to those in attendance. Once the parade starts, we will be carrying the cross down Ohio Street. If you are interested in participating in either of these ministries, a signup sheet will be place on the Ministry Table around Thanksgiving time.
5. We will be collecting small gifts for the residents of Fairview Nursing Home. Those interested in donating should bring treaded socks, non-fragrance lotions, and Christian DVDs to the church by December 14.
6. We will be Christmas caroling on the evenings of December 14 (shut-ins and nursing home) and 21 (neighborhoods). Those wishing to join us should be at the church in time for us to leave at 5:30 p.m. If you can use your personal vehicle to drive a group, please contact Richard DeFord as soon as possible. Prior to the caroling dates, during the evening of December 3, we will assemble Christmas ornaments to give to each of the homes we visit. Should be a great way to get in the Christmas spirit!
7. Our church will be serving the New Year's Eve dinner at the Community Cafe on December 31. Check out the Ministry Table for food needs and to volunteer to serve.
8. Begin praying and asking God if He wants you to be part of the Mardi Gras Mission Team for 2015. The official dates are February 13 through 18 and the cost will be $400 per person. A $100 deposit is due December 30, 2014 (checks made payable to Jon Church). On this trip, you will be doing personal one-on-one street witnessing, prayer walking, and handing out gospel tracts.
9. Richard DeFord, our Missions and Outreach Director, is researching areas of interest for our 2015 Katy Park Mission Trip. As details are determined, they will be discussed in the monthly Missions & Outreach Team Meetings held the third Sundays of each month at 5:30 p.m.
S.A.G. Group Meets Monthly
The Senior Adults of Katy Park, ages 55 and older, have a great time of fellowship as they meet on the second Friday of each month. The meetings, held in the Fellowship Hall, begin at Noon with a contributory lunch, with meat and drink provided, followed by a devotional or guest speaker. The meetings are concluded by 2:00 p.m. For details or questions about the monthly meetings, please contact Joyce Lilly. The next meeting will be held on November 21. This group will presenting the sequel to the "Christmas in Cricket County" play during Morning Worship on December 14 of this year. The play is entitled "Charity in Cricket County." Check out the Church Calendar or the website for specific rehearsal dates.
Make Plans Now for New Year's Eve
We will be having our annual New Year's Eve celebration in the Fellowship Hall beginning at 8:00 p.m. on December 31. Dress the kids in their PJs, bring your favorite finger foods and games, and be prepared to have a fun-filled evening.
The Youth will be having a Lock-In beginning at Midnight. The location is yet to be determined, but will be either at our church or the Celebration Center.
"Parking Lot" Campaign
Our first phase in paving our church parking lot is underway. Our goal for Phase I was set at $15,000 and Praise the Lord, we have reached, and even exceeded, that goal! Work can begin soon on the entrances. We will also be having a water run-off survey completed prior to paving the handicap spaces. In an effort to keep our costs to a minimum, the men of our church will be doing much of the labor themselves. Please be praying about what you can give and/or how you can help.
Mission Oklahoma City Guest Speaker during Morning Worship
Chad Clement from Mission Oklahoma City willl be our guest speaker during the Morning Worship Services on January 18. This is a possible site for our 2015 Family Mission Trip. A light lunch will be served in Fellowship Hall after the service for Mr. Clement and those families who think they might be interested in participating in the Family Mission Trip.
Bible Storying Workshop in 2015
An item on your 2015 calendar that you won't want to miss is the TruthSticks Training Worship scheduled for January 24 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This training uses five interactive learning zones to help you discover new ways to bring people to Jesus and help them make disciples of others. This training is fully interactive, with instructions in Bible Storying. This workshop is for pastors and staff, adult, youth and children' workers, all Sunday School teachers, volunteers in missions and evangelism committee members. We will go a full day and have a working lunch, so wear comfortable shoes! The training is based on the book Truth That Sticks, written by Mark Snowden (State Evangelism Director) and the late Avery Willlis.
KATY PARK YOUTH & KIDZ LIFE NEWS
TAG -- You're It!
One Sunday night every month, parents, youth workers and youth are welcome to meet and discuss all things concerning the Your Ministry. It is open to those desiring to seek the Lord's direction for the youth of this fellowship. The your program here doesn not exist to just give you more things to do, but to lead, train, and equip this up and coming generation in their walk with Jesus Christ. TAG meets the first Sunday evening of each month at 5:30 p.m.
CAT Meetings Planned
If you would like to be a part of this team and help plan the events and teachings of Kidz Life at Katy Park, please contact Brooke Spratley. Meetings will be held on the first Sunday evenings of each even-numbered month at 5:30 p.m. A complete list of meeting dates is posted on the bulletin board at the top of the basement stairway.
Bruce & Brooke Spratley have begun programs for Royal Ambassadors (RAs) and Girls in Action (GAs) at Katy Park. The week meetings will be held each Wednesday evening at the church from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. for children Grades 1 through 5. Both organizations are Bible-centered, church-based Southern Baptist Missions education for boys and girls. The boys' organization, commonly referred to as RAs, is based on 2 Corinthians 5:20 ("We are Ambassadors for Christ"), bringing good news of salvation to people everywhere. Girls in Action, commonly referred to as GAs, is a missions discipleship organization where the girls learn about, pray for, give to, and do missions work. We are excited about this new missions emphasis for our young people and hope that you will cover the leaders and the children in your prayers as they begin this journey into missions-led ministry. The children will soon begin earning merit badges in various areas. If you are interested to teaching a particular skill that you possess, please contact either Bruce or Brooke. They would love to have several adults involved.
Project Parachute volunteers are praying for our men and women of the Armed Forces of the USA who are now in harm's way in Afghanistan, Korea, Iraq and other parts of the world. We thank them and their families for their sacrifices. Those currently on our prayer list include Bernard Abduba, Cody Borgmeyer, Christopher Buxton, Andrew Campbell, Aaron Cassil, Kalli Fox, Falisha Herren, Daphne Hopson, Rodger Johnson, Stacey Kitsmiller, Conrad Kruse, Kenneth Lewie, Daniel Mahurin, Daniel McConnell, Jacob McMullin, Aramis Nahabedian, Dustin Patton, Alan Reed, Jeremy Rutherford, Adam Schock, and Curtis Thompson. If you have a friend or family member currently deployed overseas and would like to add them to our mailing list to receive gift boxes or personal notes, cards, homemade cookies and encouragement of various types every month and on holidays, please call 660-826-2070. Join military spouses and family members for a time of sharing, prayer and other activities to show your concern for our military personnel. This group meets monthly at the Harmony Baptist Association office (1950 Hwy TT, Sedalia). The next Project Parachute Meeting will be Thursday, August 21, at 6:00 p.m.